Urgent Alert for Businesses: Avoid Penalties, Stay Compliant with New Corporate Transparency Act
BOZEMAN OFFICE 406-582-8822 HELENA OFFICE 406-449-4829
Urgent Alert for Businesses: Avoid Penalties, Stay Compliant with New Corporate Transparency Act

Contractor licensing lawyers Montana

Types of General Contractor Licenses

Contractor licensing lawyers Montana

General, engineering and specialty contractor license types vary. Licenses include different classes or tiers based on the type of construction work or the value of the total contract. Years of experience in a given field can also be a part of the requirement for some licensing. Other areas require additional licenses or certifications for working with hazardous chemicals or asbestos. Our lawyers are professional Contractor licensing lawyers in Montana and can guide you through all specialty contractor licenses.

General Building Contractor

General building contractor licenses allow for basic demolition, construction or repairs. Material suppliers are not permitted to apply and the license limits work to contracts including framing or carpentry only. The general contractor can subcontract out any other work as needed to remain in compliance. General contractors are then hired by owners or developers to oversee the construction project.

General Engineering Contractor

Contractors who fix work that requires special engineering knowledge are required to obtain a general engineering contractor license. This work is usually water piping, chemical or utility related and involves work near schools, chemical plants or on sewage or water pipelines. To obtain this license, contractors must have an understanding of concrete work, rough and finish carpentry, masonry, electrical and heating, heating, ventilation and air conditioning, or HVAC, work.

Specialty Contractor

Most states divide contractors into one of 16 specialties based on the Construction Specifications Institute, CSI, codes. Dangerous work like high-rise glazing, elevator or hazardous substance removal also have their own sub-classifications. Some states with a high volume of contractors provide the distinction of a specialty in residential home improvements. These contractors focus on residential remodel projects usually smaller than three stories high.

What Do You Need To Become a General Contractor in Montana?

Registering for a construction contractor or independent contractors license will be processed through the Montana Department of Labor and Industry. For both licenses, the registration and application will be done through the same form. Although your licensing application process will look similar, you will need to meet additional requirements to become a licensed independent contractor. Our contractor licensing lawyers Montana will help in your registration process.

For a construction contractors license, you will need to:

Register and obtain your business license through the Montana secretary of state website.

Show proof of workers’ compensation insurance if you have employees.

Complete and submit the application.

If you are applying for an independent contractors license, you will:

Show that you are engaged in your own independently established business.

Obtain an independent contractor exemption certificate, or be covered through a self-elected workers compensation insurance policy.

Submit application and waiver form.

Exams or proof of experience is not required for construction and independent contractor licenses. Exams, fees, and additional requirements may need to be met for specialty trade licenses, such as electrical and plumbing.

While not required by Montana state law, some federal and independent clients may require that general contractors acquire a surety bond, in which case you will need to contact an authorized bonding company.

Schedule an Appointment With Our Professional Contractor licensing lawyers Montana

Our team approach to handling your licensing issue means we can respond quickly and efficiently to your needs. We take pride in our personal touch while helping you through what can be a very frustrating time.

If you’re looking for a professional Contractor licensing lawyers Montana who is client-centered and detail-oriented, contact the Silverman Law Office for a consultation. We believe that our clients benefit from our years of experience in this niche area of the law. We look forward to speaking with you about our personalized approach to your defense.


Fill out the form below to get in touch with our legal team or call Bozeman office at (406) 582-8822 or our Helena office at (406) 449-4829 to talk to someone right away.

Silverman Law Office - Bozeman

504 W. Main St.

Bozeman, MT 59715

Get Directions

Silverman Law Office - Helena

2620 Colonial Drive

Helena, MT 59601

Get Directions