Urgent Alert for Businesses: Avoid Penalties, Stay Compliant with New Corporate Transparency Act
BOZEMAN OFFICE 406-582-8822 HELENA OFFICE 406-449-4829
Urgent Alert for Businesses: Avoid Penalties, Stay Compliant with New Corporate Transparency Act


Where To Get Help If You Performed a Job and Didn't Get Paid

Posted on November 27th, 2021

Montana Business Lawyer

On occasion, an employer is unwilling or unable to compensate individuals who’ve toiled on their behalf. No matter whether you’re talking about full-time staff or temporary contractors, everyone should be paid what they’re owed. If you performed a job and failed to receive compensation, there are resources you can contact to help obtain what you have earned. Here are your options.

Communicate With the Department of Labor

This government administration may be able to provide aid with the collection of unpaid wages. If no one there can give you direct assistance, there should be someone present who can set you on the correct path.

Communicate With the State Labor Department

Among other responsibilities, state labor divisions help people when they do not get paid. Assistance is typically free. Taking this route may yield statutory penalties that add to your compensation. The downside is that high levels of wage complaints often cause this avenue to take a particularly long time.

Communicate With a Legal Assistance Organization

Some regions have legal organizations available as a public service. In order to receive attention, you must prove that you are unable to afford an attorney. Even if your income exceeds the threshold for receiving aid, they are typically great sources of information.

Communicate With a Legal Clinic

Another affordable option is to get in touch with a law school. Undergraduates are sometimes willing to provide advice without payment as part of an academic exercise. Expect a licensed attorney to supervise these meetings. The advice you receive, however, might be less dependable than that which you may get from an attorney with years of experience.

Communicate With an Attorney

The best way of recovering what you’re owed is by contacting a business lawyer who is intimately familiar with non-payment matters. Independently hiring legal counsel guarantees personal attention and is highly recommended if you expect to go to trial. An attorney should be able to determine whether a class action suit is appropriate and, most importantly, can assure that your case is filed before the statute of limitations has run out. Although hiring a lawyer is the most costly option, the old adage “you get what you pay for” applies when it comes to legal matters.

When filing a small claims case to recover overdue monies, it is extremely beneficial to have a qualified attorney fighting on your behalf. Strongly consider commissioning a business lawyer to make the best of your situation. Contact a business lawyer in Montana, like Silverman Law Office, PLLC for the sake of everyone involved with your business. 


Fill out the form below to get in touch with our legal team or call Bozeman office at (406) 582-8822 or our Helena office at (406) 449-4829 to talk to someone right away.

Silverman Law Office - Bozeman

504 W. Main St.

Bozeman, MT 59715

Get Directions

Silverman Law Office - Helena

2620 Colonial Drive

Helena, MT 59601

Get Directions